Seoul is a cool, underrated city, but more on that later. The best way to get to Seoul from the airport seems to be the AREX train. Here is what you do:
- Get cash out at the ATM machine right as you leave customs/immigrations in the main terminal there. There are several crazy looking ATM machines with big displays. At these ATMs, make sure you put your card in first and then start pressing buttons for an overseas bank transaction. If you start pushing buttons before putting in your card, you will be denied cash.
- Follow the signs for the train (I actually preferred taking the escalator up a level (rather than down as the signs tell you), and walking to the train that way (it seems quicker). You will enter the train area soon enough (5 minutes).
- The quicker express train (which goes direct to Seoul station for double the price unless you qualify for the discount) is on your right. The local (all-stops) train runs from the airport to Seoul for less than $5 (as of January 2015 pricing) and takes less than an hour (depending on what stop you are getting off at).
- Using your newly acquired cash, use the ticket machines on your left as you enter the train area. They are easy to understand.
- Take your issued card, tap it on top of the card reader and wait for the train. They come quite often. Check here for schedule
- When you exit the train, tap your card again to leave the station. Immediately thereafter, look for a machine that you can insert your card into and receive your deposit back.
That, I believe is the best way I found to get to Seoul from the Airport. It is affordable, comfortable and reasonably quick. Hope that helps.
The train stops are as follows: International Airport Cargo Terminal, Unseo, Cheongna International City, Geomam (with connection to Incheon 2 and KTX train), Gyeyang (with connection to Incheon 1 train), Gimpo International Airport (connections to Line 5 and Line 9), Digital Media City (connection to Line 6), Hongik University (connection to Line 2), Gongdeok (connections to Line 6 and Line 5) and Seoul Station (connection with Line 1, Line 4 and KTX trains).
Latest posts by Tak (see all)
- Review: Yacht Isabela II Metropolitan Touring Galapagos Islands - 28 February 2019
- #088: Ten TripHash Travel Thoughts - 29 July 2018
- #087: Take a Moment - 4 July 2018